VA Maryland Health Care System
Veterans Integration To Academic Leadership (VITAL)
What is VITAL?
Veterans Integration To Academic Leadership (VITAL) is VA’s approach to reaching out to student Veterans. The VITAL Initiative is a partnership between the VA Maryland Health Care System and local colleges and universities. VITAL staff members are available to help student Veterans address their overall mental health needs and concerns, while supporting them to use their strengths, skills and life experiences in the academic setting.
- Individual and group counseling to address readjustment, stress, anger, depression, anxiety and sleep problems
- Couples and family counseling
- Assistance with getting disability services (e.g. hearing devices) and academic accommodations (e.g. testing accommodations)
- Assistance with enrollment and care at the VA Maryland Health Care System
- Connection to VA Vocational Rehabilitation services
- Connection to community resources for Veterans
- Support with university processes regarding academic actions and/or conduct issues
- Education for college/university faculty and staff about military and Veteran culture
- Consultation about Veteran-specific issues that impact performance and academic success
- Work with college/university counseling centers, disability resource centers, student health centers, and other on-campus programs in serving the unique readjustment needs of Veterans
- Assist with communication between the VA Maryland Health Care System and college/university staff about student Veteran concerns, resources and needs.
What to Expect
- Prompt response to phone or email inquiries about the VITAL program
- Veteran-centered perspective
VITAL Affiliated Campuses
Community College of Baltimore County (all campuses) - http://www.ccbcmd.edu/veterans/
- On-campus hours:
- CCBC Catonsville - Monday, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., BARN 004C
- CCBC Essex – Friday, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Library 218
- CCBC VITAL website: http://www.ccbcmd.edu/Costs-and-Paying-for-College/Veterans/VITAL-Program.aspx
Towson University - http://www.towson.edu/veterans/
- On Campus Hours: Thursday, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Counseling Center in Ward and West Hall
University of Baltimore - http://www.ubalt.edu/campus-life/veterans/
VITAL Contact Information
A. Meade Eggleston, Ph.D.
VA Maryland Healthcare System
- VA Maryland Health Care System
Hours of Operation
- Monday to Friday 8 am to 4:30 pm