VA Maryland Health Care System
Lease for the Fort Howard VA Campus Finalized
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has finalized the lease with Fort Howard Development, LLC, for the establishment of a Veteran-focused community on the Fort Howard VA campus.
The waterfront property, located 15 miles southeast of downtown Baltimore, is the 94-acre home of the former Fort Howard VA Medical Center, which originally opened in 1943 and closed as an inpatient facility in 2002.
The completion of the lease clears the way for Fort Howard Development, LLC, to submit a Planned Unit Development (PUD) to Baltimore County for review and approval. After the submission of the PUD, the project will be open for public comment through the local zoning process.
The VA signed an initial lease with Fort Howard Development, LLC, in December 2011 regarding the development of the Fort Howard campus. Since the signing of the lease, VA and Fort Howard Development have been busy preparing environmental impact studies, reviewing design plans for a new VA outpatient clinic at Fort Howard, holding meetings with officials from the State Historic Preservation Office, and negotiating a final development plan for the campus.
Once completed, the Fort Howard campus will be a national model for serving the housing needs of America’s Veterans. The community will offer housing options for Veterans at various price points, including active adult living, assisted living and skilled nursing care. Additionally, the community will feature 50 units of supportive housing for at-risk and formerly homeless Veterans.
As part of the finalized lease, Fort Howard Development will be responsible for building a new and expanded VA outpatient clinic on the Fort Howard campus. The 10,320 square foot clinic will be a state-of-the-art facility that will be designed and constructed to specifically serve the health care needs of Veterans living in eastern Baltimore County.
The lease also includes the set-aside of 10 acres for the possible construction of a State Veterans Home on the Fort Howard campus.